The experts in home electrics. Give us a call on 0800 464 7370

Area's We Serve

We are currently serving
central Scotland.

Open Hours

Mon – Fri : 9:00AM-5:00PM
Sat – Sun : Closed

Stay compliant with your home insurance policy.

by | Mar 13, 2021 | EICR, Landlords, | 0 comments

Accidently voiding your home insurance.

Many of us have work carried in and around our homes and don’t fully realise the potential implications. The electrical industry is one which is heavily regulated and it should come as no shock that this has implications for you, the customer.

Whenever you have any work carried out by a electrician it must have a certificate to go with it. This can be in the form of a minor works certificate, electrical installation certificate or electrical installation condition report. If your electrician has not supplied you with one of these documents then your home insurance company may not pay out when something goes wrong and you need to make a claim.

What to do to stay compliant.

Like any industry, electricians have governing bodies to prove their competence. Napit, Select and NICEIC all operate nationwide.

If your electrician is a member with one of these bodies then you can rest assured of there credentials. You also have the backing of the governing body in the event of any dispute or poor workmanship. In these circumstances the governing body will step into resolve your complaint or honour any workmanship warranty that has subsequently become unclaimable due to the contractor no longer trading.

Back to the main agenda, any electrician registered with one of the bodies previously mentioned WILL supply you with the relevant certification required to honour the terms of your home insurance. This will guarantee that you are covered when you need to make a claim.

Why you need an electrical certificate.

It isn’t just a certificate, these documents are more of an MOT of the work carried out. Electricians carry out thorough checks when doing their tests to verify that the work they have carried out is compliant and free from any faults.

It is an essential part of the installation process if not the most important. To be able to carry out these tests and as stated by government regulations an electrician must be deemed competent by a governing body. The governing body will check qualifications, certificates and work to complete these assessments.

Ask for a electrical certificate next time.

So next time your having a new kitchen fitted, spotlights added to the kitchen, power ran to your summer house or a new electric shower fitted just remember to check if the installer is competent.

I can confidently tell you without hesitation that the kitchen fitter, joiner, plumber, gas man and handy man are not going to fit into this category and will/can not supply you with the certificates you need. This is fine if your OK with voiding your home insurance but if not I thoroughly recommend you seek out a professional, qualified and competent electrician and avoid voiding your home insurance as you just never know when you might need it.

myhomehero | Lighting The Way

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This